Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Back to the Basics: Learning About Healthy Hair

Greetings!
My name is Leia’ Love and I have been a licensed cosmetologist since 2004. At the beginning of my journey I did what most stylist do, “Fake it till I make it.” We are required to go to continuing education classes every other year and obtain 8 hours of education. Like most stylists I went and obtained my 8 hours but didn’t really learn anything. I realized I didn’t want to be that type of stylist anymore and decided to take a more proactive role in my profession. I started going to more classes, researching trichology (the study of hair), and networking with other stylist that focus on the trade and not the tricks of the trade.  I have committed myself to a minimum of 30 hours of continuing education so I can be the best stylist and service provider to meet my client’s needs.
I strongly believe in educating my clients so they can assist me in maintaining their healthy head of hair once they are out of my chair. The basis of this blog will be to educate, dispel myths and allow women to take pride in their healthy hair!
Back to the basics:
The hair strand is made up of the cuticle, cortex, and medulla. 
The cuticle is the outer covering of the hair shaft. The cuticle is composed of layers of fibers that protect the cortex and medulla. The cuticle accounts for 20% of the overall strength of the hair. A healthy cuticle will lay flat and point in the direction of the end of the strand. An unhealthy cuticle leaves fly-a ways, dry and dull looking hair due to the raise cuticle.
The cortex is the second inside layer of the hair shaft which gives the hair its pigment (color) and elasticity (strength). This layer accounts for 80% of the overall strength of the strand.
The medulla is the core layer of the hair shaft and is often absent in fine or very fine hair.
Split ends:
Why do split ends occur? The cuticle layer is the most important factor with this problem. The cuticle has many layers that protect the cortex. Heat, chemicals, UV rays, excessive combing or brushing can all cause the cuticle layers to rise up and wither away. Once these layers have been withered away the cortex is exposed. Once the cuticle layer is gone there is no repairing it and the cortex cannot withstand the elements that it is not exposed to which is why it snaps, unravels and breaks.  This type of damage can occur throughout the strand, not only at the ends.
Another reason for split ends is due to the fact that moisture is lacking. When your hair is dry it reaches to the scalp for moisture. So picture a plant you water it and as it becomes dry it reaches to the bulbs for nourishment until there is nothing left and the leaves start to dry out and break off. This is what happens to your hair which is why it is important to keep the whole strand as well as your scalp nourished. Because your ends will do the exact same thing as the leaves, break off and fall out.
Hair health tips:
·         Keep your ends trimmed. When your ends start to split and unravel they will continue to unravel up and cause more damage so stop them in their tracks.
·         Use products that keep moisture in your hair. Stays away from “grease” because it tends to clog your pores; essential oils like almond, jojoba, tea tree, or olive oil are better substitutes.
·         Rinse out your conditioners with a cooler tepid water temperature to close your cuticle layer after you’ve used warm water to shampoo and open the cuticle.
 **If you have any topics you would like discussed please feel free to ask and I will do my best to provide you with the best knowledge about that topic!****

2 comments: